I'm too tired to be clever, so this post is going to be pretty boring. I can't even begin to explain how sick we are of traveling. 24 hours of straight travel (car and plane) on Thursday, only 4 hours of sleep on Friday, full day of agency orientation and then sightseeing at the Great Wall, 5 hours of sleep becasue Turlte woke up at 3:30am this morning and was ready for breakfast, and now 10 straight hours of travel today. We left our hotel at 8:00am this morning and went to the Beijing airport for our flight to Guanzhao and we just got to our hotel (The Victory).
Here's the highlights (or actually low-lights).
- Great Wall was beautiful, but jet lag really hit us when we got there and me and Turtle both ended up having meltdowns on the Wall. No sleep really messes with a person and when you combine a pretty grueling hike on the wall, you get two very emotionally and physically exhausted people and one bewildered Cale (who has yet to feel any jet lag).
- Food in Beijing was not great and make us pretty queasy. The highlight of our trip so far was finding a McDonalds in Beijing....yes we came all the way to China and the best part so far has been McDonald's. As an added perk, we were quite the rock stars in Beijing (I think because of Turtle's red hair) and when we couldn't find a place to sit in McDonalds, the staff actually made other customers get up and move and gave us a big table. The manager also came out and gave Turtle a free ice cream cone. And everywhere we go people stop and give him candy???? :)
- I shouldn't have bragged about how wonderful Turtle was on the flight because now the universe has decided we need to be humbled. He has been a absolute BEAR the last 24 hours. Whiny, crying, llama-drama, tantrums...like nothing we've ever dealt with him before. We know it's the jet-lag, but man he has been a handful. He's sleeping now so hopefully a good nights sleep will help.
- Living out of a hotel is very challenging, especially one with no drawers and only 5 hangers. I have 2 weeks of clothes for 4 people and no where to put it all.
Now for the good stuff.
- We get Livvie tomorrow at 2:00pm....which will make all of this completely worth it. At the airport we saw a handful of little girls that looked to be about her age and it made us grin....looking at them and realizing we get our ladybug tomorrow is unreal.
- We will post pictures as soon as we can. :)
Signing off for now....